Battle of the Border Tournament Playing Rules
• Coaches: Be sure that you are aware of all rules and rule changes. Battle at the Border reserves the right to amend these rules at any time for specific
Tournament play. National High School Federation Baseball Rules will be enforced with the following exceptions.
IMPORTANT RULES and INFORMATION
1. All games will have a strict 2 hour time limit (Except Championship Game). No inning can start after two hours. Time will be kept by the tournament
Field Director. In all games the home team will be decided by a coin flip with team that travels furthest calling the flip.
2. All pool games that are tied after 7 innings or the time limit will be recorded a tie. A tie is equal to a ½ win and ½ loss for each team.
3. Forfeits: All games must be started with at least 9 players. A game can be finished with 8 players. Once a team establishes it has 8 players it must finish
the game with 8 players. The player leaving the original lineup cannot return and his spot in the hitting lineup will be recorded as an out. Any intentional
forfeit will result in the forfeiting team being eliminated from the tournament. The tournament committee will rule on all forfeits. No team should benefit
from the result of a forfeit in an unfair manner. This rule could result in a dispute and the tournament committee reserves the right to look at and rule in the
fairest possible way. The committee’s decision will be final! Note: Any team not on the field and prepared to start the game, at game time will give cause for
4. Taking Infield: No infield will be allowed during the tournaments.
5. Mercy Rules: 1.The game will end if the visiting team is behind by 12 or more runs after 3 ½ innings or the visiting team is ahead by 12 or more runs after
4 complete innings. 2. The game will end if the visiting team is behind by 10 or more runs after 4 ½ innings or the visiting team is ahead by 10 or more runs
after 5 complete innings. 3. 15 run rule after 3 complete innings.
6. Trips to the mound: The pitcher must be replaced on the 2nd trip to the mound in any inning.
7. Hitting lineup: Federation DH rule will apply. Use of EH or Full line-up batting is permitted if only agreed upon by "both" coaches prior to start of
8. In case of rain: All rain out games may not be made up depending on time constraints. In case of scheduling changes it is the team's responsibility, not
the tournament committee, to make sure they are aware of the new schedule or any scheduling changes. This information will be posted at the website
when it becomes available. www.pcbattleattheborder.com/
Note: No special requests will be honored if rescheduling becomes necessary. All coaches should make sure they have the tournament phone numbers to
call for information. If games are cancelled Pool winners and championship qualification will be determined by the tie breaking procedures (listed below).
In the event play is stopped for any reason before or during the Championship round, first place, second place third place, etc will be awarded using the tie
breaker rules (see tie breaker rules below) In case of weather problems. Games called because of rain by umpires that cannot be resumed within 1 hour will
be considered complete after 5 innings or 4 1/2 innings if the home team is ahead. After 5 complete inn. A tie score will be recorded a tie in pool play.
9. Protests: Protests will be heard and ruled on by the tournament committee. The team protesting must make cash payment of $100 at the time of the
protest. If the protest is ruled in the protesting team’s favor the $100 will be refunded. The ruling made by the committee will be final. Protests must be filed
and ruled on before the next pitch if during game, or before umpires leave field if after a game.
10. Roster and Roster changes: Teams may change their rosters up until they start their first game. After that time there will be no roster changes. If a player
is listed on more than one roster, the player listed will make a decision as to which roster he is legally on. This decision is up to the individual player. No
player can appear in a tournament game for more than one team.
11. Scoring: We recommend that all teams (home and visitor) keep a score book. The actual score book of the game will be kept by tournament staff, in
case of emergency where staff can't keep book the home team will be the official scorer. To eliminate scoring disputes score keepers should check with the
official scorer during and after the game.
12. Sportsmanship: In the interest of maintaining a quality event, the tournament committee reserves the right to eject any person from the site for unruly or
unsportsmanlike behavior. Any coach or player who is ejected for the second time during the tournament will be eliminated from participating for the
remainder of the tournament.
13. Bat Specifications: This is a wood bat tournament.
14. Not covered in the Rules: In the event any item is not covered in the rules, the committee will make the fairest possible ruling and that ruling will be
15. Rain Rule - No cash refunds, a credit for future tournaments will be provided as follows: In a three game guarantee event, if two or three games have
been started there shall be no credit given. If one game has been started, a credit of 50% will be given. If no game is started, an administrative charge of
$250.00 will be applied, and a credit given for the balance.
16. Playoff teams - The 8 pool winners will advance to the Playoffs
The wildcard will be decided from the team with the best record from a non pool winning team.
Pool Play- If the score is tied after 7 innings or time limit the game will be recorded a tie for both teams.
System used for advancing and seeding out of pool play - TIE BREAKER RULES
1. Pool play overall record (winning percentage)
2. If two teams are tied - Head to Head winner
3. If three teams are tied – If one team has defeated both other teams, that team advances. If not go to #4.
4. Total runs allowed in pool play.
5. If still tied – Total runs scored in pool play
6. If still tied – Total runs allowed subtracting game with most runs allowed in pool play
7. If still tied – Total runs allowed minus two games with most runs allowed in pool play
8. If still tied – Runs scored inning by inning starting with first game until one team has more runs after a complete inning starting with pool games
1. After 2 hour time limit if tied we will go to the tie-breaker. In the Championship game, there is no tie-breaker. This rule is subject to change.
TIE BREAKER RULES (for Playoffs only)
1. If after 2 hour time limit the two teams are still tied the following tie breaker rules will go into effect except for the Championship Game.
2. The last three hitters from the previous inning will load the bases.
The base runners will be placed as follows
• Last hitter from previous inning @ 1st Base
• Hitter before him in the lineup @ 2nd Base
• Hitter before that in the lineup @ 3rd Base
• Normal substitution rules apply to these runners.
• The hitting team will start the inning with one out.
• Play continues until one team is ahead at the end of an inning.
National High School Federation Baseball Rules apply in all other cases